PC power supply is a frequently overlooked PC component. Many PC users choose a power supply based on the total wattage alone and assume that the higher the voltage the better. Other users do not pay attention to their PSU selection and go with any kind as long as it works in their computers. However, considering how important a good power supply is to a computer stability and long-term reliability it is a shame that the PC power supply do not get even little attention compared to the sexier components such like the SSDs and the graphic cards.
Because the manufacturers know that most customers pay less or no attention to PC power supply units the market is filled with substandard components that has overstated capabilities. This information is going to help you to find an efficient power supply component to make sure that your computer gets solid and stable power supply.
How to choose a power supply
- Devote as much thought to your power supply as much you do to your PC’s Processor.
Although there is no common universal rule to select the best PC power supply, there are various indicators that provide circumstantial evidence of PSU quality. First, you must make sure that you buy the PC power supply from a reputable manufacturer. Always make sure that you look for its review before making the purchase. In addition, make sure you buy PC supply components from only reputable brands that offer solid warranties and support. Avoid a cheap generic supply that tends to be substandard.
Choose the PC power supply components that are heavy and large, Puny and lightweight model components tend to be substandard. High quality power supply components use improved capacitors, chokes and other internal components. They also come with larger heat sinks for superior heat dissipation.
- All about output
The manufacturer always indicates the power supply’s output in watts. A power supply component with high wattage means that they supply more power. A desktop power supply has a power output rating between 200-1800 watts for ultra high-end enthusiast product. If the wattage were higher than this it means that, they would exceed the capabilities of a typical 15-ampere electrical outlet. You need to select a power supply with the right wattage to provide a continuous supply and not the one for peak power.
3. An efficient PSU is a better PSU
A PC power supply efficiency rating is very vital because the more efficient units tend to have better components, generate less heat, has less noise and waste less power. A power supply with a rating of 80% means that it provides 80%of its wattage as power to your system while losing the other 20% as heat. Look for units that have an 80% plus certification. Make sure that you select a PSU with at least an 80% plus certification for you to get a good PC power supply unit.
You should make sure that you also select the PC power supply component with a great rail rebate. A PSU with a single rail power supply means that it has only one rail that supply 12volts to power hungry component. A multi- rail component divides the output between two or more 12v rails. If you have this in your mind you will have an easier time selecting the best PC power supply to give your PC uninterrupted power supply every time you use it.