Where should you not install smoke detectors?
Knowing where these places are could save your life.
- Near Fans.
- Near Vents, Supply Grills and Registers.
- Windows and sliding glass doors.
- Within 4” of wall / ceiling corners.
- Near Cooking appliances.
- In Furnace and water heater closets.
- Near laundry washing machines or dishwashers.
Should I have a smoke alarm in every room?
“You should make sure you have at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home, preferably in hallways and landings. And placing smoke detectors near to sleeping areas and in rooms where there are electrical appliances could give you the extra warning you need.
Do I need a smoke detector in the hallway?
Presently the California State Building Code requires that smoke alarms be located in 1) the hallway outside the bedrooms 2) in each bedroom and 3) on every floor regardless of whether there is a bedroom on that floor. The California State Building Code has required this at least since 2007.